What if?

 

Crash!

The sudden occurrence of the ear-splitting noise woke me up from my usual afternoon nap. And it wasn’t only the noise. As I peeped from the crack of the wall which is my home, I saw a cloud of smoke.

My eyes struggled to see. I tried to straighten my antennae as well. But I could only manage to move a few steps before I finally fell down on the ground, a straight 73m fall to the floor.

“Ahhh!” I screamed as my weak legs ached.

Groaning in pain, I remembered about Putu.

“Putu, Putu! Where are you? Putu!” I tried to scream but only a hollow sound came out from my throat.

I pulled myself up and tried to walk around and look for him. The entire place was devastated. With the smoke having decreased a little by now, I was able to see the surroundings a bit clearer. Dust, dirt and debris were all that the place had to offer.

As I slid underneath the remnants of the huge door of this mighty structure, I stood there. Still and shocked.

I saw hundreds of people lying in front of me, near the garden of this historical building. I squinted thinking that my old eyes must have shown me a distorted image. I took little steps and reached the waterfront area.

Woah! What went wrong here? I utter with disbelief in my eyes.

The waterfront was not the same. It now looked like a stream of blood with pieces of human flesh and bones floating in it. I looked away in disgrace and my eyes fell on numerous heaps of dead bodies, scattered all around the garden of the mausoleum.

I shuddered at the sight. Gulping down my fear, I tried searching for Putu again.

“Putu! Can you hear me, child?”

I walked slowly, afraid about what horrifying sight lied ahead of me. Pulling my entire body with all the strength left inside, I reached my most favourite spot in the garden only to see that place left devastated and barren.

What happened here? I muttered.

In front of me, all that I could see was the deadly scene of the cypress trees that once adorned the beautiful garden. I moved closer, one inch at a time. What I saw were not trees but numerous dry, brown skeletons with burnt leaves and broken stems.

Amidst the leaves, I saw the severed body of a blue and red butterfly. It still throbbed with life and tried to flap its wings. I wanted to help it. But before I could do that, it saw the end. Its attempt to live lasted only for a few milliseconds.

My head spun and my throat became dry. I looked for water. The liquid in the waterfront wasn’t clearly suitable for drinking anymore. I dragged myself in search of a puddle.

The air was full of dust and I could smell a strange stench. I had never come across such a foul smell in the three long years of my life. The air smelled of death and decay.

I closed my eyes and Putu’s face flashed in front of me.

Oh, no. Putu! I need to find him. I said perhaps to remind myself.

With little steps and much difficulty, I moved ahead. As the scorching heat of the overhead sun continued to drain out all the energy stored inside my tiny body, I felt weak and numb. My legs refused to move further. They felt numb and swollen.

One step . . . two steps . . . three steps . . .

And body touched a familiar surface.

“Putu!” I screamed, both in joy and pain, finding Putu buried under a big, white marble piece, studded with colourful stones.

I tried to pull out Putu with all my might. After a few attempts, Putu was finally in my arms.

“Grandpa, Grandpa! Save me.”

I carried Putu on my shoulders. Lean and weak, my body tried to give up. But I knew that I had to do it for him. So, I held on, firmly.

As we headed towards our home again, there was a similar sound. But this time a little fainter than before.

“This . . . this happened, Grandpa,” said Putu in a feeble tone. “Then, fire, smoke and . . . and that big rock came flying—”

Before Putu could finish, we saw our home, the final pillar of the edifice crumbling down in front of our eyes. It turned into ashes in no time.

“Grandpaaaa...” Putu screamed. “Our home is gone! Where will we stay now?”

“We will find a place. It is for a reason that ants are one of the longest living creatures in the world,” I assured him.

With Putu on my shoulders and faith in my heart, I walked towards the central tomb of the Taj Mahal.

Comments