A Peculiar Gift



We all like gifts. Or, should I say, we love them? 

A special gift by a special someone always remains close to our hearts. Gifts convey emotions, messages, and feelings. They speak through their silence. Nothing can beat the feeling of unwrapping a gift box! Be it small or large, gifts can lift up our mood instantly. 

But, what makes the perfect gift? How do you choose a gift for someone?

During my B.Ed. internship days, I had received uncountable gifts from my students, especially on Teachers' Day. Their gifts included handmade cards, chocolates, red gel pens, etc. Each and every gift reflected the innocence that those little kids were filled with! 

My students have even gifted me rakhi and friendship bands on occasions such as Rakshabandhan and Friendships' Day. Surprisingly, they had also not forgotten to present me with heart-shaped cards, flowers, and toffees even on Valentine's Day!

Among all the gifts that I have received till date, the one that stood out and seems peculiar to me is a stone. Yes, it's just a stone when looked at with the naked eye. But, when seen through the eyes of a 12-year-old girl, it's something priceless. 

When most of the students came up with all the traditional gifts of Teachers' Day, she had gifted me a small stone that she had found on her journey to Nandi Devi. I don't know why that stone had appealed to her. There was nothing remarkable or special about the stone. It was just one among the thousands of stones lying at the foothills of a mountain range. 

But, still, she chose it. What amazed me more is that it was me whom she was thinking about on her trek! She had selected that stone because she had believed that the stone will be able to convey her love and admiration to me. She had discarded all man-made gifts and opted for something that was close to nature, something which she thought would strengthen our bond even more. 

I still remember the name and the face of the girl. I had taught her class History for 6 months. Throughout that period, I had grown as a teacher. I had learnt the art of conducting classes effectively and had enhanced my classroom management skill as well. But, apart from the lesson plans, class assignments, teaching techniques etc. what I had learnt the most was how to connect with students and make learning a happy experience.


Comments